April 21, 2011

Renaissance Women Learn to SEW (Part One)



Well I tried to organize our workshop for this month which was sewing! And in doing so realized how much I DIDN'T know about it! Stores only carrying one or two copies of the patterns, how fabric stores are not open late Saturday night before our workshop the next day...and needing more supplies than just a pattern fabric and sewing machine, who knew!



Maggie, one of the ladies on my moms street was our amazing teacher. She is a master sewer and was very willing to come and teach all us non sewers her craft. She really was amazing!



We cut, ironed, pinned, sewed...



...got some pointers, help when our machines had issues, and pats on the back when we needed the reassurance that this was our first project and it's okay that the look the way they do!



A few women actually came away with almost finished adult sized aprons...



...while I successfully finished two toddler sized pockets for my Penny sized apron.



I am so loving this group and learning new skills each month. It is empowering and so much fun! For a lot of the things we are doing I will be blogging in two parts with a bit on the workshop itself and then my own attempts at home. This weekend I am determined to finish that mini apron and then have a little photo fun with Penny sporting my creation.

AND if this at all interests you be sure to check out the blogs/flickr pages...etc. that all the other women have. There are a few writers who are so great at actually writing about our experiences, another photographer who so beautifully captures the whole experience and makes it feel like you were actually there! There is also an audio artist who records our workshops and puts together an amazing audio blog. So between everyone you are all pretty much there with us! Pop up to the Renaissance Women page at the top of my blog and scroll to the bottom for all the links!

No comments:

Blog Archive